Home Schooling Stories

An online support group for home schoolers where families can share stories, ideas and get answers to problems they may face during home schooling

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Hello

Hello,

My name is Teri and I am a single home schooling mom. I would like to share stories with other home schoolers as well as ideas. If you have any stories you think would help others in their journey or would just like some advice on a particular home schooling problem, please post it here. I look forward to hearing more and making lots of new friends. Have a blessed day.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger David Broadus said…

    Welcome to the Blogsphere.

    If you check Technorati.com at http://technorati.com/blogs/homeschooling?sort=recent

    you will find 121 Blogs on Homeschooling. If you want to communicate with other HomeSchoolers, you could go on their Blogs and let them know you started yours and are seeking comments. Be sure and leave a link back to your Blog. You will probably generate a lot of traffic that way.

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger David R. Snow said…

    If home schooling had been legal when my children were small, I would have done it. We have homeschooled three grandchildren for short periods of time, and I am much in favor of doing so. I am also a retired college professor and administrator, and in those positions, worked with an increasing number of college students who had been home-schooled. For the most part, they were ahead of the public and often the private school students. But this is rambling; what I wanted to tell is the one negative effect of home schooling that I observed among college students: One very bright college freshman, home-schooled along with four siblings, had a difficult adjustment period his first semester (not uncommon, that)but the reason was very simple and could have been avoided. In his home-schooling experience, he had been allowed, and most likely encouraged, to work on a task until it was completed. So when he got to college and the class times and study times were fragmented, he had a rough time with learning how to juggle it all. Lots of people have difficulty with that, but it seemed to be particularly hard for this one.
    Best wishes starting the Blog--they are fascinating and can certainly be addictive!

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I think homeschooling is a very good thing, but some friends I've had who were home-schooled had a hard time socializing. Then again, I went to public school, and I'm not so great in social situations either...Add more entries and keep up the blog...

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Teri and Crystal said…

    HI Ashley,

    That is the concern that people have the most. A lot of people think that we isolate our children and that is not so. In fact, our children generally get more socialization than public school kids because of all the activities we are involved in. Many families are heavily involved in sports, music and church youth groups. At school children on get to really socialize during the recess time which is generally 30 to 45 minutes a day. We are involved with our home school group as well as several church activities so my daughter well exceeds that amount each week. And it is quality socializtion with children of like minds and different ages. Homeschooling has increased so much in the past ten years that there is now a multitude of opportunities available that were not before. Thanks so much for your post. I look forward to hearing from you again. Please tell your friends. I have had a hard time getting this started.
    God Bless
    Teri

     

Post a Comment

<< Home